Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Cleaning, Organization and Whatnot...

With my in-laws in town, it means that several little projects are getting done. I'm so thankful for their helping hands and willingness to encourage us to get the work done. They've even watched the baby so we could go on a "date" to Walmart and Lowes for necessary supplies.

In the basement my husband and his father cleaned out a bathroom rough-in that housed all of our leftover home renovation tools. They rifled through all the stuff and saved a minimal amount. We donated anything we could to the habitat for humanity re-store so that someone else may be able to use it. The little rough in didnt have a light but did have the wiring for a light fixture so my father in law hung an inexpensive fixture in there so we can see the whole room.

Also in the basement my husband cleaned out the laundry room so that the laundry sorter could actually go in the laundry room. He also organized the laundry room so that I could have a small shelf for any laundry supplies (delicate bags, home dry cleaning kits, stain treatments, etc.). We also still had room to store extra laundry hampers for moving laundry from the basement to our room on the top level.

I had been looking forward to eventually having adequate lighting in our kitchen. We had an old light fixture that provided light but did not provide as much light as we really needed. A couple of years ago I suggested a ceiling fan due to how hot the kitchen often gets when we do any sort of cooking. Yesterday I finally got my ceiling fan with an awesome light fixture. I can finally see what I'm doing in the kitchen!! My father in law and husband hung it up yesterday and it is amazing.

I'm now looking forward to finally getting a freezer in the basement to store all of our frozen food. I buy in bulk and really dont have the space to store all the food properly. My grandmother is looking forward to getting rid of a freezer and Jonathan and I are more than happy to take it from her. I also am looking at getting a cabinet for extra pantry items. I'm not sure if we're going to store it in the basement or if we're going to keep it in the kitchen until we're able to withstand a full kitchen remodel and fix up our cabinet space issue. For now, I try and utilize what we have in the basement for storage for overflow kitchen items.

A while back, our dining room furniture (which we acquired from friends), had finally seen its last meal. The table was fine and I was even thinking about hanging on to it but all the chairs were pretty much broken. After much prayer about how we were going to afford a dining room table that would be able to accommodate our family as it grows, my father called and asked if we wanted my grandmother's dining room table and 6 chairs. So that is in our dining room now, but I had the dilemma of where I was going to put all of our china, crystal, and trinkets. My dad asked me about a month ago if we wanted the china hutch that matches the dining room table. Of course I'm happy to have it in the house. Its a very nice piece of furniture and it will free up a lot of storage space in my basement that is being used to house my china. I'm not sure when we'll actually bring it in the house, but hopefully while my in-laws are here so they can help me set it up :).

Upcoming projects are going to include a storage overhaul in the linen closet upstairs, a re-vamp in kitchen cabinet storage, a re-vamp on our bathroom storage in both bathrooms upstairs, and a thorough cleaning out of the coat closet on the main level. With me being home every day I should be able to work on these things while my husband works on the bigger stuff on the weekends such as the basement storage over-haul and setting up the guestroom to actually accommodate guests.

"The desire of the slothful kills him; for his hands refuse to labor." (Proverbs 21:25)

No comments:

Post a Comment